Sunday, November 11, 2012

DONE AND DONE -- TWO PROJECTS

Butterfly on the lantana
He has nothing to do with this story,
just thought you might like to see him!
Everyone is getting so busy preparing for the holidays.  Me, I have decided to take it easy this year and do as little as possible!  I know I say that every year, and then it looks like a Disney Carnival in here.  But this year I really mean it.  Any wagers?


Surprise!
They are not ASCP Greek Blue, but white!
I am trying to get a few of my 50 million projects finished up before cold weather sets in.  Aside from a few chilly nights, we have had pretty nice weather now that things finally have cooled off a bit.  Changes are imminent, though, with lots of rain. Today we have had big gusts of wind.  Of course, we did, people, because I am trying to SPRAY PAINT!!!  Here is a preview,  but you will have to wait till next week to see these finished and what I am doing with them because I have one more chair seat to cover.  I think you are gonna love it!




I finally finished the "X-BOX" project -- those crappy shelves I ordered from Joss & Main.  I may have said that it was another company when I showed you the preview of the X-BOX on a previous post, but I checked, and it was J&M.  Anyway, this was one project I truly truly truly was wishing that I had chosen spray paint instead of chalk paint before it was over.  I actually thought the chalk paint would do a better job of covering with less work, but -- and I know this hardly ever happens, folks -- I WAS WRONG!!!





All these little planes and surfaces were a real test of my determination to see it through with the Emperor's Silk ASCP.  I am sure my character is much better for having seen it through to the bitter end, but I also think I have more grey hair now!  Usually I prime, even though ASCP claims you don't have to.  Wish I had.  Arrrrggghhhh!  As if wood filler, caulk and glue weren't enough, I had to add moulding to cover the split edges, if you remember.  True, it now looks great, but I don't know if I would go through all this again, just for a rinky-dink little shelf.  

I put on about four coats of ASCP, then a coat of sealer, didn't like the way it looked, then went back over again with my own mix of poly sealer and the ASCP.  Looks dandy!




Here it is in place in the world's teensiest powder room.  (Observe:  I removed the big metal peacock in favor of a Cassatt print.  He's just taking a break from it all, probably sunning himself in St. Augustine.)


Shot in the mirror.
Wall color is "Aquarium" if you are interested.




Remember these from Anthropologie?

Notice the doodads keep changing!

I keep fiddling and twiddling with the styling, and I suppose I will eventually find a composition of something I like. The thing also has to hold part of the Library of Congress -- I am running out of space everywhere else.



I found this in an estate sale when we first moved to BHAM --
at least 15 years ago.
It has been three or four colors...
been this one for 5 and 1/2

Peacock feather wreath remains

Sitting in the spot shown below to take some of these photos!
My painting shoes are the BEST!


This is about as good as it gets, vantage point-wise

I see a hole that needs patching...


My other projects-- actually there are several, but I am only going to show you one other today which got finished, but I didn't do it at all.  

Behold!   My new garage door!  



Yeah, I know it is just a garage door on a little house in the 'burbs, but I think it looks at least as good as the Taj Mahal. Know why?


Windows

Cute cottage details

Clean and tight and bright!

It gives me some light where there was none.  It is also airtight, watertight, insulated, super-quiet and keeps my garage-turned-studio space CLEAN AND BUG FREE!   Except for the little gecko who keeps me company.  He is fun because he turns the most interesting colors!  When he sits on the little yellow wicker desk, he turns a fabulous lime green!

I digress.  I had planned to build a new garage or porte cochere just outside this garage, and use a door and a bank of windows along that wall.  After I found out how many headaches were involved from the ARB, the County Inspector, the number of permits required, blah, blah, blah -- I said the hell with it.  If the day ever comes when I can actually sell this house, people always want a garage, so now they can still have one.  But right now, it is MY SPACE.

In case you want to know these things, we ordered this door through Costco.  They used a local dealer to order and install it, and they did a fabulous job.  Rated A+ on Angie's List, I concur.  It is Magic City Doors, in case you are in the BHAM area.  



Scribbler



I am linking this post up to a few parties this week, including



Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Nita at Mod Vintage LIfe for Mod Mix Monday
Brenda at Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday

Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday

Kathe with an E for You’re Gonna Love it Tuesday!
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays






9 comments:

  1. That little bookshelf looks great in red! I love the crosses on the side. Your bathroom is very cottagey looking wearing it's blue and red colors. I love your new garage door too! We have 2 garage doors and recently replaced one but need to replace the other one eventually. It doesn't get used as much so we have put it off. You're so lucky to have all that space in your garage to work in. We have to use ours for what it was intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I do hope you are feeling better today! Our garage is pretty small and I no longer have a basement, so I put my foot down and said, "This is mine!"

      Delete
  2. Interesting that you don't use the garage for cars. I guess there in 'Bama it's a lot warmer in the winter than it is here, and you probably get a lot less snow...if any at all! I love the new garage door! We are in the market for one, and what we get will probably have a similar look to it. We have to make sure whatever we choose works well with the Colonial style of the house. Ah! The 'burbs! Your new shelving is simply marvelous! Congratulations on a hard job well done! I really do envy your energy and tenacity when it comes to getting projects like that done!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refuse to be defeated! You are right that it doesn't get that cold here most of the time. The cold spells are usually pretty short. All this junk can be piled to one side if I really need to put one of the cars in. This is all that junk I bought for the beach place I was hoping for, but since that is off the table, I am going to have to do something else with it! I am thinking sunroom!

      Delete
  3. I loved your post! Also love that you have a volume of Dick Francis--I did a lot of horseback riding growing up and I think I read every book he wrote while I was in high school :) The red shelves are pretty--sorry to hear they were such a pain to do. It's lovely to have a spot all your own in which to work, so your garage is great! We use our garage, and now I've also spread out and doing some painting of furniture projects in the basement as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really miss my basement, especially when there is a tornado warning!

      Delete
  4. Hello there,

    What a fun, frank, colorful post...Love it!

    (I sometimes have done DIY projects in the past and then also have posted about what I have done, what I love and all points in between. Yet mostly these days it seems, I get caught up in all manner of fluff and stuff and digressions of one kind or another, of my own... Mercy me)!

    I love how you get straight to the point and share all of the nitty, gritty as well, along with the fun stuff and the fabulous out comes. (I have in the past, to be sure, although not in a very long while); you have inspired me. Thank you for sharing with us... However, I digress!

    I really like your punchy and vibrant color selections and yes, the garage doors are fab also. (I would love to have a garage... Yet alas, I do not, so the basement must suffice for now).


    P.S. ~ (I've been gone so long from being able to take the time and energy in visiting my fellow bloggers and commenting in 'blog-land', that it's great to be back visiting and saying 'hello' once again. Saying 'hi' to old friends as well as new fellow bloggers!)...


    Cheers, blessings and hugs from Wanda Lee @ The Plumed Pen blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow oh wow - I love that color! I did use Emperor's Red once on a project for a client. It came out great. I love that x shelf - but so many layers??!! Whew - what a job!

    Beautiful powder room - just gorgeous. I think mine is smaller though!!

    Linda
    www.thecolorfulbee.com

    ReplyDelete