Friday, December 28, 2012

GOLD & SILVER



Mixing metals on one's person or on one's table or in one's house -- always a subject for lively discussion among the design-oriented.  Hardliners say "Never" and creative types say "Always!"  There is a current movement in design which melds fashion and interior design -- you have only to read the design blogs or the design magazines to be aware of this.  With this concept in mind, I decided to translate to my table one of my favorite winter-time fashion looks:  winter white (in rich woolens and silks for clothing, fine china for the table) accented with gold, silver and pearls.  Translated for the table, it means what you see here -- an eclectic mix of what I have had for a while, into what I hoped would be a stylish mix for a New Year's table.












Because those of us who follow a Christian calendar accept that the Feast of the Epiphany on the 6th of January signifies the official end of Christmas, we do not snatch our Christmas decorations down on the day after Christmas -- or even in the case of some I know, on the very afternoon!

My goal is always to get everything out by that date, but truly, it may be longer before everything is actually packed up.








From Sweet Husband and me -- Happy New Year to you all!  Thanks for being my loyal readers and followers and commenters.  

Scribbler

Linking to The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday.



10 comments:

  1. What an elegant table...I do mix my metals...it makes for a much more interesting table. Love your Santa!
    Happy New Year, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say mix the metals, especially if one can do it as beautifully as you do. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! I started following you awhile back and I look forward to receiving emails notifying me of your latest posts. You mentioned design blogs in this post. Can you recommend a few?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will find you a list within a couple of days -- I am on vacation, and not doing much at the moment. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. This translates into "beautiful" no matter what your native tongue! I'm from the "MIX THOSE METALS" camp. I think the contrast is so striking. How could one resist it? This is absolutely beautiful from every angle! A gorgeous table to celebrate the new year or any grand winter occasion! I used to not pull my Christmas decor until after the 6th, but with teaching in my home now, I have to start pulling the day after New Year's to get everything properly packed away and start setting up for Spring class. Yes...our home will be bursting with daffodils and hyacinth in February!!! What a life! :-) Whatever you choose to do this New Year's Eve - stay at home all comfy, cozy and warm or get out on the town to kick up your heels - do it in style, be safe, and take great joy in it! Happy New Year, Ellen!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ellen, I love the mix of metals. Your table looks perfect. I don't tear my decorations down right after Christmas, but they will come down on New Year's Day. Your table is so beautifully elegant, it should stay up till Jan 6 and beyond! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very elegant. I love the mix of metals. Well done! Happy New Year.........Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your silver and gold. So elegant!

    Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    Happy New Year!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that this is a look that is ok to do now. your tablescape looks fab!

    ReplyDelete