Saturday, December 15, 2012

VIOLET HILL INN

The Violet Hill Inn,
Nachitoches, LA


On the back porch -- probably called a gallery 
The view everyone comes to see --
the Christmas lights at night on the Cane River.
Remember Steel Magnolias?
This is where it was filmed.

Also, to eat the Nachitoches meat pies and crawfish pies -
Yummy!

From the back porch

All decked out for the Christmas Festival

A main floor guest room

Upstairs, more guestrooms


The most gracious Southern dining room --
very challenging for an amateur to photograph!









I tried shots at different times of the day and evening, but you will just have to use your imagination.  The host is Charles, so charming a Southern gentleman, and a fabulous cook.  For breakfast he served something like a quiche with his "grandmama's gravy" -- which I think he said was boudin (blood sausage) -- or he might have said andouille -- there was some lively discussion about true boudin being illegal!  Anyway, the gravy was like a tomato-Creole sauce with sausage chopped in it, topping off the quiche.  He had baked the little quiches in a round mould of some sort.  Alongside were wonderful stone ground grits and a biscuit.  For a starter there was something he called "Peach Crisp."  It was very tasty, but it seemed a bit like we had dessert first!

He had set his table with Lenox "Holiday," and as you can see, the table was beautifully appointed.

Next, the parlor.



Sweet Husband trying on the gentleman's chair.
He doesn't seem properly dressed, does he? 


  

The parlor, very Southern Victorian.  All these dark rooms literally sparkled with charm, but I just don't know how to properly photograph them!  I lightened them all up in PicMonkey so you can get an idea anyway.  According to the website, many of the pieces are original to the house.

The room where we stayed, the Stem Wheeler Room, also on the main floor.




The bath...




I am waiting for ...



This!


Scribbler

I am joining Alma The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday, and to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday.


12 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful place to stay...and dessert before the meal guarantees I will have room for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a beautiful inn. I love love the porches. If I ever build a house I want one wrapped all the way around the house. Love you picture..too cute!
    Merry Christmas!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous place to visit. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful way to treat yourselves!!! "Steel Magnolias" was filmed in Nachitoches? I didn't know that little piece of trivia! Good to know! I love that movie!!! What a magnificent place! The proprietor sounds like a real character...someone I would thoroughly enjoy! I don't know what "blood sausage" is, but that doesn't sound too tasty, Ellen. :-) I do, however, like the idea of eating dessert first thing in the morning! Gets your day off in the right way! :-) I love Charles' taste in decor. Very pretty! The garland on the stairwell is really pretty, the dining table is set to perfection, and the furniture in that place...wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun trip, especially that bath! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG!!! I can't believe you went to Natchitoches. That's where I'm from!!! You might have even walked to where my furniture is Tre Bien Antiques. It's just about two blocks from the Inn. How did the beautiful floors look? Our family refinished them and just last year did a quick redo upstairs when he redid it. I talk about this quaint little town all the time in my posts. I would have loved to have said "hi" to you. We're you there for the tour of homes? The house that I'm going to reveal in a couple of months is just across the bridge. I'm so excited for you. The pics are beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Peggy, I can' t find your blog. The comment is "no-reply" so this is the only way I can answer you.

      I am sorry I didn't know you were there because it would have been great to meet you. We love the town and the festival, and I would go every year if I could.

      The floors, as is the entire Inn, just beautiful. I did not go upstairs, because I think those rooms were mostly occupied.

      I always visit Lasyone's for the meat pies.

      ETS

      Delete
  6. Yes, Lasyone's is a on the must do list. My website is southscapedesigns.com. I link up with Miss Mustard Seed FFF, I'm number 9 this week. However something has happened to my picture the past day or so. It has been replaced with someone else's chair. Te title is "The Greatest Complement. If you have trouble with my site you can find me that way. Even though the pic is different it does go to my site. I hope you enjoyed your visit. What state are you from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tour of a fabulous home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful that inn is! It would make me feel like I needed to get dressed up for all my meals though. That tub sure was inviting. I love those old fashioned tubs. I had no idea that was where Steel Magnolia's was filmed. No wonder it's all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place to visit, at Christmas or any time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great trip, Ellen! You look beautiful on the chair waiting for your bath time.

    ReplyDelete