Monday, January 14, 2013

BLOGGER TROUBLES

Truly, I am about at my wit's end with Blogger again.  They cannot seem to get this thing with the photos loading too slowly or not at all fixed.  Maybe they are not trying.

I use a Mac, have for quite a few years, and I would never go back to Windows. However, a lot of the popular social outlets seem to function better with Microsoft programs, a fact which baffles me because usually they are the ones who get the viruses, etc.  With a Mac, these things are not an issue.  (There is one right now which is hitting both:  Java, not to be confused with JavaScript, has been the source of many computers getting hacked.  On a Mac, it is an easy fix, because you can just go into your Preferences menu and disable it.)

About the pictures, though.  It is taking HOURS, literally to get a dozen or so photos loaded into a post.  I have complained, and I suppose many others have too.  The answer, everyone says is to switch to Google Chrome browser, supposedly free.  Although some of the sources say that there is a version for Mac, it will not let me install it.  Know why?  "You didn't buy it from the App Store."  That would be the Mac App Store.  (Mac protects you from any bugs that you might pick up downloading anything off the internet that way.)  Guess what?  It doesn't seem to be available from the App Store!  I need to look in iTunes, I guess.    Maybe it is hiding over there.

I really don't want to switch anyway, because I like my Safari browser (which is Mac's default) much better than the others I have used.  It went through a period a few years ago of being very buggy, but it is not any more.  

Recently I got the message along with a lot of others that I had exceeded my limit for photos on the blog.  So I bought some extra storage, which is supposed to allow for really large photos.  They are still coming out the same size, no matter how I resize them!  

In my time as a blogger I have really enjoyed getting to know many nice people.  Our friend Cass at That Old House said it best -- that it was like a little short visit over the back fence which is missing from our lives today.  That is why I have continued blogging this long, although I have taken a few extended breaks.  It also gives me a place to express my opinions and share the creative projects I do.   Of course, I have changed formats several times, looking for the one which will best do what I want it to do, be easy to use, and make it easy for the readers to interact.  That is the main reason I came back to Blogger, full circle, you could say.

I can't understand why, just when everything has been going along so smoothly, that they decide to !@#$%^&* things up!  They get complaints all day long and don't fix the problem.  Is that any way to keep your users happy?  Many with monetized blogs have defected to a Wordpress website.  I am not interested in spending a thousand or two to keep my little non-monetized blog going.  

If you use a Mac, and you have found a fix for the problem with the photos taking all day to load, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Scribbler





12 comments:

  1. Ellen, I do use a Mac and I haven't had any problems uploading photos. I just uploaded 30 photos to my blog tonight and it took about 3 minutes. I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion, but didn't have any trouble before upgrading either. I wish I could help. I was also able to download Chrome with no trouble here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also you can load your photos onto photobucket at http://photobucket.com/ and then you just copy and paste the html link it gives for the photo and you can put them directly into your post and not upload them using picasa.---you by pass it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I've heard, this is an intentional problem between Google (who owns blogger) and the other browers so we all have to download Chrome (which surprise is owned by Google). Oddly enough, I can't download my pictures on Chrome or IE at all. The only one working for me is Firefox.

    My mom has an iPad, which I do use sometimes for comments, but I don't load pictures on it.

    As Kim said, you can load your pictures on photobucket or Flickr and then I think you chose to load your pictures from a URL and use the direct URL thing in photobucket. I've done that once or twice, but beware pictures usually do not show up on other people's sidebars with your post (For any blogs where you are on their sidebar). I try not to use that way unless I have to for that reason.

    Hope you find something that works for you because from my understanding, this is going to be a long term problem. I'm sorry I couldn't help more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get the problems solved soon, Ellen. I've had no problems since moving to Typepad from Blogger..of course, I was "punished" by being shut out of GFC, but hey...not to worry.

    When you have a problem at Typepad you "talk" to real people. There doesn't seem to be as many of us on Typepad. It takes some getting used to and in many ways it doesn't have the bells and whistles of Typepad but I am quite happy with it.

    I've had Google Chrome for a long while and didn't pay a cent for it.It has made life easier since having it. I pay 14.95 a month for the pro plan and it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meant...bells and whistles of blogger...not typepad. My mind is in the kitchen making veggie soup.

      Delete
  5. Gosh, how frustrating! I use Firefox on my Macbook Air, and photos upload just fine to my Blogger-based blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, pardner! That's a lot to take in! But I totally understand your frustration, and I feel for you. Double sucks!!!! I wish I knew a solution to the problem. All of these technological things learn how to hold us over a barrel sooner or later. It's the old bait and switch a lot of times. Makes me mad. I have Microsoft, use WordPress for my blog (although mine's not monetized because I can't figure that out), and I switched over to Google Chrome from Explorer about a year or so ago, and I still have problems. I don't think a month goes by that I don't have some kind of issue. It's all sucky. I really, really, really do hope you find answers to the problems that have been plaguing you. It takes all the fun out of what is SUPPOSED to be fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are, indeed, frustrated. I have a Mac but use Wordpress where there seem to be fewer problems than with Blogger. Good luck solving your problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi sweet gal, wonder which one of us needs to drink out of the bottle first? My blog seems to be plagued with the fact some people cannot comment, went through several days of people telling me they couldn't leave a message. Like you I'm on blogger, there are issues daily. I hope you can find a solution to your problem, no ones seems to be able to tell me why I have the problems I have. I don't have issues uploading pictures, YET,. I can't and don't have thousands to switch to Wordpress, I know those that have love it, but also have problems. I do use Google Chrome as well as Firefox, both FREE! Google Chrome on the desk top won't let me access my own blog, Firefox so far is faster! It's not suppose to be rocket science for us to use our blogs. Is it? Alycia said it best, it's suppose to be fun! Keep us posted darling, I truly feel your frustration.
    hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god.. you said it perfectly...EVERYTHING!! I cannot take this change to upload my photos to blogger, it's a pain in the you know where!!!!!!! The other night it took me two hours to finally finish posting my last post! I don't like FB so I hardly go there, but to blogger is not that way, I do love to go over the fence and visit you great, fun, intelligent, smart and wonderful ladies...when I don't blog for a few days I get sad and it's like something is missing from my life, so I stand any of this %&?#!!&%¡ nuisance!! My daughter who is a whiz at the computer gets sorprised at what happens to me, lol! I too ended paying lately to upload my photos and I get the worsed service since I'm paying...I don't know and they don't seem to care, anyway. Lots of hugs and thanks for sharing your problems with this too, as I really thought it was JUST ME!!!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi...I have a Mac, and use blogger, and have no problem loading photos (yet), and I have had to pay for more space monthly, too...so far, so good! To answer your question about my table, no it is not a MacKenzie-Childs. I made the table band last month, here is the post: http://ppandorasbox.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-whimsical-table-band.html. Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellen, sorry you are having so many problems...please don't get so discouraged you will quit blogging. I have had Google Chrome for ages, never had to pay for it. I must be pretty lucky as I haven't had any problems loading pictures on blogger...usually if I have it problem it is one I have caused. I also ran out of phot space so have to pay each month for more...that is a rip off!

    ReplyDelete