15 January 2012

MASTER BEDROOM PROJECT



The Master Bedroom is undergoing some changes, as it does each season.  It has been a couple of years since I pulled out the red accents, but this year, I found a quilt on sale at my local department store, and I fell in love with the soft reds.  The patchwork squares are a little country, but I don't mind.  I like it.






Everybody who blogs (nearly!) has this checkerboard quilt.  I still love it, but decided the two could play well together.  There was a set of wonderful really high thread count red sheets in a tone on tone stripe on sale, too, so naturally they had to join the party.  Two patchwork shams pulled the bed  together with what I already had.






Notice the two oval plates on the brackets?  I found those at my neighbor's estate sale a couple months ago.  They are red transferware, and one is Johnson brothers 'Old Britain Castles'.  The other is unmarked.  






The more I looked at the bed and the plates, I wanted to do more.  Back I went to the sale, coupons in hand.  Two throw pillows for the bench were next. (You may remember I slipcovered that a couple of years ago.)  


Oops, I just noticed the OTT light!  I have a goose-necked table light hooked over the bed head because it is a great reading light for one who is blind as a bat.  I honestly meant to take it away before I took any photos, but I forgot.  So sue me.




The black and white toile chairs were bugging me.  I went back, thinking to get one more King quilt for slipcovers but there were none, so I bought a Queen.  Once I laid out the chair cushions on it, I realized I needed much more fabric -- there are five big cushions for two chairs and a large ottoman.  Back to the store.  As luck would have it, I found one more Queen quilt.  I started in the late Fall, stopping for a week or more when we had a funeral to deal with between TGV and Christmas.  They were pinned and fitted, and I finally got the basics together.  I have a little trim work planned and some soft red buttons at the corner pleats.  Only one is sewn on!  A bunch more to go...








A pillow is on the sewing table about half done to toss on the bergère, a very girly one with buttons and bows and creamy lace.  However, I ran out of cream thread, so a trip to the store is on the agenda for tomorrow. 


I am using the leftover quilt pieces for several little pretties which will be shared as they are finished.  One thing I did finish is a lap quilt to keep my tootsies toasty.  I had to piece the rounded corner areas from the scraps.  



Back side


Notice the bed tray?  Santa Claus!







The baker's rack-into-secretary project you have already seen here.







The duvet and king shams are Margaret Muir from a couple of years ago.  The red lampshades I have had for a long time -- PB.  




To be read...



There are three big project$ to be done in here.  The first is the walls.  I am having quite a time doing extensive painting or papering any more because of my knees, as well as any other projects which require going up and down a ladder.  The plan is to stencil the walls in white, then glaze in white over the stencil, leaving the base coat as is.  I am hoping this will work for a while which will enable me to change the color of the bedding and accents 
when I get tired of the current one.  In my stash I have several others, and it is nice to be able to change.


The other two major projects are hardwood floors and white silk drapery panels with bamboo blackout shades.  The floor will probably be the last thing to happen.  I really want the icky carpet gone, but I really hate major disruption, don't you?


Scribbler


I am joining the following parties this week --











Honey at 2805 for Potpourri Friday

Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday 

Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper










27 comments:

  1. I Ellen! I love this bedroom and the reds and whites always ring my bell! The bench at the end of your bed is so pretty!
    About the NetworkedBlogs thingy...I've read about loosing our followers list on a few blogs. I know Blogger changes things from time to time and I was scared. I had asked Marty at A Stroll Thru Life and she told me about it. I didn't want my posts to appear on FB and realized you have to go and click the little "up" icon for it to post. I was glad for that. I didn't want to share my complete life and home with everybody! :) Just my blogging friends!
    Hopefully we won't loose our followers. I'd just hate that!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info -- it is all very confusing. I withdrew from Networked blogs because it didn't work very well for me. They didn't always put my post on there, or at least not for days on end. Also, when you use Networked Blogs, you have to agree to an app which shares the info of your Friends on FB! I have my security settings on high with 'Friends only' who can see my stuff anyway, but I have seen several requests from various Friends that we not allow those apps. When I want a particular post to appear on FB, I share only that post by clicking the icon for FB on the particular blog page. You have to be very vigilant with FB, because they change the rules about every five minutes.

      Delete
  2. You've created such a cozy nest for yourself! I'm a red fan myself, especially in the wintertime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with your soft red bedroom-scape!!! Just beautiful and......oh, my, you did a fantastic job on the two chairs, wow, pat yourself on the back girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilt pattern. I just changed all my stuff to white but may opt for a duvet cover in something similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love an all-white bed most of the time, but every now and then I feel the need for some color. I think your room is beautiful, and the dressing table you did is really pretty. I wish I had a place for something like that in our room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your all red and white bedroom is lovely. Love the way you've layered the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I love the quilts, love the colors ... love the former baker's rack ... I would love to have a bedroom like that ... if everybody in Blogland has that checkered quilt (except me), do you know where someone (like me) could get one :) I found you link at Met Monday. Hugs ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilt came from J C Penney a couple of years ago. I had seen it on several blogs, and then one day I saw a Penney's ad in a magazine. It was on sale by the time I ordered it online, and I picked it up at our local store when it came in to save shipping.

      I tried to leave a comment on your blog, but I got a message that it did not go.

      Delete
  8. All dressed up for valentines day beautiful all year round I think!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I was so glad to see you were ready to show us the slipcovers! They look fabulous -- and the whole room looks so well-coordinated! What a talented seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the red and white....and that quilt is fabulous! So glad that everything turned out so nicely!

    Have a blessed and wonderful day!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the quilt! You did a great job with the slipcovers, too.
    I dont get the new changes. The followers are going, i heard. I dont do Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ur whole bedroom is simply beautiful! Though pink is my personal fav, i love her big sister red....Everything uve made is gorgeous, especially the bench at the end of the bed. Now i have to go and check out the Baker's rack to vanity project...Now that looks like something ide love to try...go figure ide see it after ive given mine away to the neighbor, LOL.............Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm lovin' how sweet and charming everything is! You did a beautiful job on pulling all the pieces together. The colors are beautiful.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Red is my favorite color. I love this bedroom decor! Can you tell me where you got the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The two quilts used together look wonderful! Love the cute pillows and shams too. Thank you for linking your pretty bedroom to the open House party.
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I love red and I love the quilts you used on the bed. Nicely done.
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous bedroom! I adore all the red, as it's my favorite color. What a wonderful job you did with the sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bedroom is lovely. I'm so impressed that you change it seasonally. Wonderful to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love red and white! Perfect for Valentine's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the color combo, very nicely done. Ott light is how real people live.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love red and white checked things--they speak of home!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your bedroom makeover is lovely. I love red and white. Your upholstery job looks great! Thank you for sharing this lovely post at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really nice - I wish I had your sewing skilss! Jealous, jealous!!! I am now following you!!

    Cheers,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beatufiul! I LOVE the bed linens!!

    ReplyDelete

I love nice comments! So leave me one already!

Featured Post

GUEST POST BY BRENDAN DAVIS, aka "Son of Scribbler"

Guest Blog by Brendan Davis December 11, 2016 Beijing, China Hello, dear readers and friends - virtual or otherwise - of my ...