19 May 2013

PAINTING THE PORCH FURNITURE

The dining area of the porch


Hasn't this been a weird Spring in the Deep South, weather-wise?  It was so cold, then cold and wet, and now it is hot and sticky and wet.  This has made it a little tough to get all that pile of junk I have acquired for my porch painted, and get everything else outside dolled up to my liking.  I also need to hang my floaty white curtains on the porch and unearth all the outdoor cushions for the stuff under the pergola. 




What can you do?  Make hay while the sun shines, so to speak!  Last week we had a few days of relatively low chances of rain, and my houseguest had left (my son Brendan was here for a little over a week).  So we hauled out a few of the pieces, and I washed the pollen off with Krud Kutter and the hose.  



Some of you who love brown are probably horrified that I painted the brand new chairs I found at World Market after seeing them on Delores' blog Vignette Designs.  They were nice, but brown is just not my thing, as you know.  I plan to paint that Indian screen, too, so brace yourselves!


This drop cloth has been sprayed on so many times, I could just about hang it up and call it art!

You will notice that I have also painted the porch coffee table base, one of the estate sale finds from last fall.  The shade is "Lagoon," and it is a great cross between a peacock blue and turquoise -- at least that is how I would describe it.  




This is the first time I have ever had any of my favorite spray paint (Rustoleum 2X) underperform.  I don't know why, but I got air bubbles all over this table base.  It is now in the garage, with all those rough places sanded off, and I will take it outside and have another go at it if the rain ever stops.  That will have to be a show and tell for another day.


I pulled out Granny's old sewing machine base for my porch dining table.  The 48" glass square top came from Pier 1.

I used Rustoleum 2X on these too, and the paint performed perfectly as it always has till the coffee table.

We never have heard anymore from the old lovelies at the ARB about their "issues" with our pergola, so we are going on about our business and add lattice to the back side of the pergola.  The plans are to plant many climbing roses and flowering vines all across the back to create a virtual flower garden all over the back and the top.  How on earth could anyone not enjoy the view of that?  The neighbors who wrecked the back yard had a yard sale yesterday, and we saw some of the folks over there peering over the fence at our pergola. When the lattice is in place, I won't have to see anything or anybody over there.  Yay!!

{Edited to add:  We have heard now from the ARB.  It was not a pleasant meeting.  However, we are  going to add the lattice, and we are planning to plant many flowering climbers across the back.  They very reluctantly approved it (after showing us photos of how it looks from the neighbor's deck -- the same one who wrecked the yard in the first place), telling us that they had  considered making us take it down.  I said, "If you think so, who is going to reimburse me the X S$ amount we spent after YOU said it was OK?"  He said, "Hearsay won't hold up in Court!"  Can you believe this old fart?!  If you have any experience with dealing with the ARB or HOA please email me and tell me about it.  I have discussed it with several of you, but I would love to hear from more.





Speaking of estate sales, we hit a good one this weekend, and found three great chairs which are now in the garage waiting to be redone.  They are in near perfect shape and very clean, just dated.  I also got some plates for my front hall wall around the large green mirror with green and pink -- old Haviland, no less -- and I can't wait to share those with you.  I am on the hunt for some of those plate hangers I have seen on several of the blogs, the kind that stick onto the back of the plate. 




The newly red chairs are now back in place on the porch, and we couldn't be happier with the way they look.  Gawd, I love red!  (Wait till you see the old iron patio sofa in its reincarnation!)  And I really love the flow from the kitchen since the two areas are close together.  How about you?



Scribbler


I am linking to Susan for Metamorphosis Monday


The Dedicated House for MAKE IT PRETTY MONDAY

A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday

Kathe With An E's You're Gonna Love It!

Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday

 Cedar Hill Ranch for The Scoop on Tuesdays

 My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures

Barb and the girls' Home Work Wednesday at Everyday Home


 Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays 

The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays

No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays

My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday

 French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

Common Ground for Be Inspired on Fridays


The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday


This post was featured by Kari from Thistlewood Farm on her Facebook page! 
It was a Fan Favorite at Make it Pretty Monday, too!  


I am so flattered.  Thanks Kari and Katherine!

And, it was the top viewed post on Everyday Home's party Homework Wednesday too!

And Courtney picked it too!  Thanks so much!


49 comments:

  1. Gorgeous...love the red and your new screen porch is fantastic...what a great space!!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks positively stunning! Good job pulling all the right colors together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Looks amazing! Love the style of those chairs. It has been a weird spring. Super cold and now hot and sticky and stormy. Starting to storm again today. Which explains why I am WAY behind on outdoor stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why you chose to paint those chairs red. They really do compliment the interior of your home well. I'm glad to know that the Rustoleum 2X spray paint works well on wicker. That's what I bought to paint the wicker sofa for my front porch. I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as you about the rain situation. I can't paint until the weather improves. Hopefully tomorrow it will be dry to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very snazzy, Ellen. I love what you've done. This would make me smile every time I saw it. I like where you're going with this. It's a lot of fun.

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- I hope to finish it soon.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely Fabulous! Your outdoor space is so inviting. Love that red. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I wish the rain would take a break so I can finish it all.

      Delete
  7. Love, love the porch. Hope the ARB leaves you alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this and the color is so bright and pretty! Your backyard is gorgeous too and I'm not jealous! :)
    Be a sweetie and thanks for popping in to see my trip!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love your red chairs! They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your red chairs. They look great. This is going to be a great dining area when you are done.
    I am your newest GFC.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in love with your red chairs, can't tell you how beautiful they will be with that aqua base table, wow, I wish I had a set like that...soooo beautiful and so perfect in that area, I adore the red as well and believe me that is a new thing for me...GrandinRoad has an aqua chair and foot stool, I simply love, a little too pricy but go take a look, reminds me of you and your beautiful colors....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hobby Lobby carries the the plate discs that you are looking for

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! I love the changes and that pergola is gorgeous.
    - Lora

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ellen,

    My goodness gracious! Red chairs, (is that wicker side table blue?!), red and white striped pillows against a robin's egg blue wall outfitted with a pretty floral plate...I'm smiling from ear to ear! This is absolutely adorable and I couldn't agree with you more: the view from the kitchen and the whole perspective is pure primary (as in colour) perfection!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot even imagine why they would have a fit about the pergola. I absolutely love it and all the other good things you are doing to that space and the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The red chairs are fabulous, sometimes I wish I could paint things bright colors, but I just can't. Your's look great, would love to have them on my porch.
    I know, this sounds crazy.....
    Jeannie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was just telling Ramon yesterday about your neighbor/ARB woes. I tell you...it can get crazy, can't it??!!! I am so glad to know that you've not heard anything else out of either one of them. No news is usually good news, and the best news is that they will stay out of your back yard business!!!! A person has a right to enjoy their own property and a little privacy. Since the neighbors decided to destroy perfectly good trees because they are probably too lazy to rake, that's no reason why you should have to go without shade. if you pergola was an eyesore or put up in a shoddy manner, I could see their point. Neither of those things is so, so they need to shut the hell up and back off!!! 'Nuff said! :-)

    Your red chairs...perfection! I love red, too. Just painted our front door a cheery bright red, in fact! I think red Adirondacks would be a perfect accent! (Maybe I'll paint the back garage door and the deck door red with the leftover paint!!!) I love brown, but the red really pops right out at ya! Love it! Somehow I KNEW you weren't going to leave that screen brown!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ellen, this is just awesome! I ladore the red chairs (although, my favorite color is BROWN - lol!!). I could sit at your table all day - you have done a fantastic job and I know that red suits your personality to a "T". Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're killing me! I love the painted chairs so much I'm going to do my "ugly brown" furniture on the porch.
    What nasty neighbors you have. I'd love to have a neighbor with such good taste.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are awesome!! This project is amazing!! I love how you used a sewing machine as the base for your table!!!

    Can I feature this on my Facebook?

    Have a blessed and wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the chairs, and I totally adore them painted red. How fun and happy is this. Great idea. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  22. The chairs look so much better wearing red! Your outdoor space is really shaping up and I can't wait to see what you do with the Indian screen. It's all quite pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a color girl too!! Just love those red chairs...boy do they pop! Your yard looks like so lively and fun, who wouldn't want to come and hang out! :) Here's hoping for some drier weather!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely love the red wicker! Gorgeous!! If you get a chance, please share this on my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/05/sunday-link-party-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. The magic of paint strikes again! What a difference the bright red makes to the furniture! I really love it great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the red...it looks really good! I am so sorry about your ARB problems...I used to work for a Management Company in SW Florida, and let me tell you I could not believe all the rules we used to have to enforce! A lot of the rules can be so petty and it gets so frustrating....especially when you have a SOB in the ARB...a lot of the Board Members I came in contact with had too much time on their hands and not a full time job. One tip I will give you (after reading your update) is to not use verbal communication with "him" if at all possible....if he is going to throw "hearsay" into it....then make him respond in writing...and if he calls in response to an email or written request from you, I would do 1 of 2 things...1 - go to the next Association Meeting....and have it brought up that you got a verbal approval of your plans from him and you just want to confirm what he said on such and such date about your request....that way it has to go into the Meeting Minutes...Legally! OR #2 ask him over the phone to send written approval within 5 business days via fax, email or letter...and if he fails to do that....Do the Association Meeting thing....There should be something in the By Laws (which they should have given you a copy when you purchased your home) about how they are supposed to respond to requests...maybe that could assist you too...

    Good luck!
    XO,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this info -- I have saved it for future reference.

      I could not reply directly to you because you arrived as "no-reply".

      Delete
  27. Just found your blog from Stroll Thru Life. Those chairs are amazing! What a difference the red makes and so cheery for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful work and beautiful photography. enJOYed!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm telling you . . . . . I gotta paint my ugly brown rattan chairs now. What brand of paint did you use?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ellen, I am so happy you are one of the few people that aren't afraid of a little color...I ♥♥♥ the chairs! Can't wait to see what you do with the Indian screen.
    I so don't envy you having to deal not only with the jerk of a neighbor, but a HOA, too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the red chairs and the vintage sewing machine base. The blue wicker table is a wonderful color too!
    Thanks for linking to the Open House party and I'll check out the post about your son's bad moving experience.
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you all the best with the move. we had our things stored for about two months when we moved from TExas years ago, and North American Van Lines lost some of our boxes and damaged some furniture. I filed and claim and they had to pay and repair1

      Delete
  32. those chairs are wonderful, i LOVE the red!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just found your blog and so happy I did! I love, love red and the chairs look awesome! Great idea to use the sewing machine base & add a glass top. I used the Lagoon paint last year and love the color. Your yard looks gorgeous! Will look around and see what other creative ideas you've shared. :)

    I'm a new follower ~ stop by and say hi when you can.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  34. Goodness! They are gorgeous! And, HOA's can be such turds. Half the time the people on the HOA have no taste. Your pergola is beautiful. I kinda want to go toilet paper your neighbors house and yard. Bad girl...lol. You were one of the fan favorites at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a Showcase feature button. Also, I'm opening up MIP tonight since most of us are taking the day off tomorrow. Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really want those chairs! How do they sit? Are they comfy? They look like they lean back a bit - I need to run by a World Market the next time I am in civilization and see for myself, I guess.
    Thanks!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a transformation. I love the red choice.

    Absolutely FAB.

    Happy Sunday.
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the red chairs. I really love red but haven't taken the plunge on any furniture yet. I'm going to be changing that real soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your ourdoor living space! So beautiful! Funny, I have cream colored wicker that I wanted to be brown. Now I wil have to rethink it....The wicker furniture is on my porch, the walls are Nantucket gray (really a grayish green) with stained woodwork. Hmmmmm. Now what color? After seeing your beautiful furniture, I am in a quandry as to what color to use.
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Gorgeous- love the red! Sharing at the party tomorrow~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your red chairs just attracted a new follower! Our home has always had many touches of red...my favorite color! I just had to pin your chairs to my "Red, red, red....I LOVE Red" pin board.
    Will be taking a browse around and see what else you have done!
    Congrats on the upcoming feature @ Courtney's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Found your site through No Minimalist Here. I love your red chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ellen, love the red on the chairs! Your porch looks gorgeous! I'm still trying to find the post that talks about when it was built. I remember your old patio. Congrats on being featured on all those wonderful blogs! You are one of the hardest working furniture painters in blog land and you take some pretty cool risks with your paint projects and you've hit a home run on just about every project you do! Your home is colorful, charming, elegant and bohemian all at the same time! I'm a big fan of color!

    ReplyDelete

I love nice comments! So leave me one already!

Featured Post

GUEST POST BY BRENDAN DAVIS, aka "Son of Scribbler"

Guest Blog by Brendan Davis December 11, 2016 Beijing, China Hello, dear readers and friends - virtual or otherwise - of my ...