29 August 2015

ARTSY ENDEAVORS FOR THE WEEKEND



Recently, I was reading my friend RJ's blog ART AT HOME, and she mentioned a new (to me) product which she had ordered from an art supplier.  I had never heard of water soluble art crayons, and I was intrigued, so I ordered a small starter set.  I like them so much, I am thinking to get a few more so that I can expand the color range.  The colors are also sold separately. 


I am still getting the hang of using them.  I like to draw, and I also enjoy splashing around paint on canvas.  I wasn't sure exactly how they were meant to be used, but I had recently made a few drawings with a pencil, and decided to color one of them in, just to see how it worked.  At first, I thought it would be something like using pastels, and as I had ordered a stump with the crayons, I first tried blending the colors with that.  I didn't have much luck there, so then I got my watercolor brushes and a cup of water.  That was magic!


A gangly teenage boy and his dog, reading on a lazy summer afternoon.
I forgot to take a photo of this when it was just a light pencil drawing.  

It took a while, but I got it all colored in, and blended, and then I thought it looked too much like a coloring book, so I started blending colors and lifting colors off wet with a wadded up paper towel.  I am not altogether displeased with the results.  What do you think?


Pencil drawing of a woman at the bath
I have always liked drawing nudes, so I did this little drawing of a woman about to get into the bath, with the idea of coloring this one in from the beginning.  I quickly discovered that it doesn't take much color, especially using black, to get what you want.  Again, I went back lifting color off and smudging more.  




I might try a still life, maybe fruits and vegetables, next.  Drawing in ink is on the agenda, too, before adding the color.  Since I did not have a wide color range of crayons, I got out my color drawing pencils as well, which also work with a brush and water to blend.  I do need some better flesh tones which Caran D'Ache offers.




Have you ever tried this product  or technique?  What do you think?  Do you enjoy painting and drawing as a hobby, too?








15 comments:

  1. I can barely paint a board! You're good!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could draw, but I stink at it! I draw like a little kid. You are very talented though. I think you are either born with that natural talent or you're not. I'm sure you will enjoy using this art set for a while. I'm sure it's very therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun way to spend an afternoon or evening. I've tried my hand with these years ago, but I'm no artist. ;-(
    Fun to see your creative work, Ellen. Thanks for sharing and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of these before, but they look fun to try. I just told my husband I need to start painting again. Such a great hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are good. You could use each one you do as a blog beginner with a saying or smart remark that goes with the painting. So neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not an artist so I don't draw. However, I do love to buy statues and paint them - did a whole Easter Village. That was a lot of fun.
    I haven't heard of those pencils, but will have to check them out.
    Mary
    Great pictures

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are well on your way to a great way of creating...your illustrations are already wonderful and I think you have the hang of working in this medium. I've used watercolor pencils---those were fun but it's been years. Keep it up! :)

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't even draw a stick figure so it is recognizable, so everything else looks amazing to me. You really are an artist, Ellen. I enjoy seeing your paintings in blog photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes ma'am. I DO enjoy painting and drawing. ;) I like your art. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- you are the real artist here! My efforts are not worthy of your shadow.

      Delete
    2. Oh no ma'am! That's so not true. While I so appreciate your kind words, I REALLY love your art! So flipping cool it is my dear! Love you Ellen. <3

      Delete
  10. Fun! I've never seen water crayons before. I have some watercolor pencils which I've used occasionally but don't really like them. It's fun to experiment, and it looks like you really enjoyed it! Love the tipsy lampshade in the sofa drawing! Keep sharing!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellen, I have used these before and I love them. They work really well with the brush that holds water. I am not an artist at all, but I make cards with rubber stamps and the watercolor pencils are one of the ways I have colored the stamped image. You really have some talent! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they are fabulous! I have always wanted to learn to paint. In high school, I loved to draw. Very inpspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you do like the Caran D'ache crayons. I really do like them, and I really do like your art, especially the nude one…. You'd like the limited edition spring colors. One of them is blue jeans! More like faded jeans.

    I did nothing Saturday other than read two romance novels and it felt *great* ;P

    ReplyDelete

I love nice comments! So leave me one already!

Featured Post

GUEST POST BY BRENDAN DAVIS, aka "Son of Scribbler"

Guest Blog by Brendan Davis December 11, 2016 Beijing, China Hello, dear readers and friends - virtual or otherwise - of my ...