11 August 2015

SECRET LIVES

Do you live another life in your head, lost in your daydreams, like Walter Mitty?  I confess that I do.  Most of the time, it looks much like the one described in today's post on The Style Saloniste.  This is a fabulous blog in case you don't know, written by Dian Dorran Saeks who publishes many articles on travel and design, as well as having published many distinguished and comprehensive books on design.  

If you have Bohemian leanings, or just wish you could, you will love this post about Theadora Van Runkle, a well-known Hollywood costume designer and artist who died almost four years ago. (Aside:  I have done a little costume design myself, but I didn't get famous.)




This fabulous artist's Laurel Canyon cottage is now for sale, and here is the link to the real estate listing on the blog page of the realtors' site. I believe this piece was also written by Ms. Saeks.  


I don't want to risk any copyright infringement, so I am not going to show you the fabulous pictures from either of those sites.  Trust me, though, when it is time for your break today, go to these links and prepare to be transported to a world that included the likes of Warren Beatty, Joni Mitchell, John Lennon, Steve McQueen, etc. in the 1960s.


Theadora Van Runkle was nominated for an Oscar many times, and she dressed the actors for many, many of your favorite movies, including her breakout piece, Bonnie and Clyde.  Didn't we all want to look like Faye Dunnaway then?  Here is a link to a piece in the Hollywood Reporter upon her death.  Her very life began in a Bohemian way, and she basically invented herself, according to what I read.  At this link, the writer J B Taylor points out that Theadora showed us all that it is possible to be glamorously Bohemian into your eighth decade (and beyond?)  Even young men were still totally smitten with her.  (Unfortunately this blog doesn't seem to be kept up anymore -- too bad, it is quite interesting.)


screen shot from J B Taylor blog


Just a little gift from me to you today!


  

12 comments:

  1. She was one talented lady! Love love her taste and style. Absolutely timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was good, Ellen. I agree with Janet, her talent was amazing.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finally relaxing from a busy day in meetings, so I look forward to clicking over and indulging in the site. Thanks for the entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful elegant lady. She is so classy. Very good post Ellen,, thanks so much.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting woman! I've never heard of her, so learned something entirely new.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't she the cutest! I love her house. I could live there in such happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous fun here Ellen, elegant is the word that comes to mind~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool lady and house she lived in. She was doing cottage before cottage was a style! Thank you for all the leads. Thank you for all the leads on this post. I'll be heading back down that rabbit hole now.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did costume designing too!!! Clearly, I am not famous either! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A really interesting post!! Thanks so much for visiting and for your Anniversary wishes!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. I linked over. WOW I love her cottage...Love the white and the art!!! I want it. As is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such an awesome story. Now, I am curious about the house photos. Now, on to curb my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete

I love nice comments! So leave me one already!

Featured Post

GUEST POST BY BRENDAN DAVIS, aka "Son of Scribbler"

Guest Blog by Brendan Davis December 11, 2016 Beijing, China Hello, dear readers and friends - virtual or otherwise - of my ...