16 September 2015

A BLOGGING MILESTONE



I am about to hit eight years, all told, with the blogging experience.  That practically makes me a fossil in the blogging world.  I have actually had several blogs over these eight years, all of which I have deleted as I got bored with them.  This blog is with this post hitting 500 posts which is another milestone of sorts.   Who knew there was so much to say about mostly nothing?  


I have ranted, reported, opined, editorialized, praised, poked fun at and even excoriated from time to time.  My sarcasm has gotten me in trouble occasionally, too.  I never could seem to make a blog that fit into a nice neat little niche, where people go there for that specific experience.  Therefore, I suppose my blog is a reflection of it's writer, unfocused, and that reflection is supposed to be the object of the game, or so I have read.  I have learned the hard way not to hit the "publish" button right away if I have written anything that might be considered controversial.  

Many of you who have read my blogs over the years probably have a pretty good idea of me.  Some who only occasionally read may not, or don't care one way or the other.  That's OK, too.  The blogging format in and of itself really just provides me with a place to express myself with words that some people actually read plus I get to exhibit my unprofessional photos.  

I have written several books, only one of which was published so far.  But, you never know...  Short stories are a good exercise in writing, and I still write those, too.  However, I am fairly lazy, and I have stopped beating the bushes for an agent.  Once upon a time, I thought I had found one, but she turned out to be a dud.  Who knows, maybe I will have another go at it one of these days.  

When people say, "Well, aren't you a little too old for worrying about things like that any more?" my answer is NO!  And I am not worried about it, either.  The husband always says, "Worrying is a useless emotion."  As my mother used to say, "I am just going to live till I die."  Grandma Moses was pretty old when she took up painting, not that I am aiming to become another Grandma Moses with my splashing paint.  My point here is that keeping oneself interested and engaged and as active as possible is the best thing we can do for ourselves as we move into what some idiot called "The Golden Years."  About the only "gold" I have seen so far is the amount that I shell out for Medicare, it's Part D for prescriptions and my Plan F Supplement (Medigap).   

My blogs have all been what I call a "Slice of Life" style -- they reflect what is going on with me at the time.  At least, they reflect what is suitable for public consumption.  I like to travel when we feel like it, but the husband and I are both homebodies.  Keeping up with the news and current events is something of an obsession, although there are times when it is necessary to dial it back because it can get horribly depressing.  

You have probably gathered that I am a fairly domestic little creature, and that the home keeping arts and all the various facets of making a nice home are near and dear to my heart.  I love to read, I must write, and I enjoy all things "artsy".  I also used to love acting and making music.  I have always enjoyed having what people call "hobbies" -- or just my little pastimes -- because I had to entertain myself as a child and old habits die hard.  A subject will catch my interest, and I pursue it until I am tired of it.  

I am not athletic in the least, and in fact, I am a klutz with two left feet.  I do get into exercise off and on, and now I am into it again upon the suggestion of my doctor.  It is very frustrating that my body doesn't cooperate with me as easily as it once did, refusing to bend and stretch quite as far as I want it to.  I am sure it will improve, because there are people in their later 80's in these Silver Sneakers classes at the Y who certainly put me to shame!

As long as I do continue with this blog, you can probably expect the unexpected -- that is to say, you never know what you might find here from day to day.  Sometimes it will be painting or decorating or renovation projects.  Other times it might be food (although I don't think I have posted any in quite a while, come to think of it).  Occasionally I might talk fashion and beauty.  You just never know, do you?  I don't either.

So -- I hope you will continue showing up as long as I do to see what's new with me, because I do love your comments and visiting with you.  


  







23 comments:

  1. Wow! Eight years IS a major blogging milestone! I always enjoy the glimpse into your life that your posts provide. You are FAR more creative (and energetic) than I am, tackling huge projects regularly. And your husband sounds like a winner, always ready to provide the hard labor for your ideas -- better keep him happy! I started my blog in 2006 as a sort of personal scrapbook of photos and ideas I wanted to remember, then jumped into more public blogging when tablescaping was all the rage in 2010. I'm tired of blogging about that, though, and have yet to figure out exactly what else to write about! Maybe when I retire I'll have more time to write for fun (I write a lot for work). Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your milestones! I have been blogging for just as long and have had a few different blogs along the way as well. Keep on writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you're still around. I keep taking breaks:) some short and some longer and I often wonder if I can survive another blog year especially since its going to be an election year. I'll say no more on that subject but I'm certain others will, before the next 14 months are over.
    Maybe I can start a separate blog for liberals:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a milestone blogging!!! I will be 65 this coming Saturday and I feel I am just getting started and I am still having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on you 8 year anniversary!! Always enjoy your blog~!! Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you and your girlfriend bloggers are doing it so i don't have to learn how!!!!
    I missed you when you went away for awhile and always looked--and do again-- for posts from you.
    We could be related, our tastes and activities are so similar.....and i love color but don't have your bold style.
    Am getting more co-ordinated around here and keep your stylings in mind when considering changes...
    btw, your blog came along when i was "recovering" from the death of my best friend/husband and you made my life brighter.....for which I thank you on this 8th anniversary......
    now if only i could bring myself to go blonde and not be concerned about the roots......
    Happy anniversary! Marje

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a loyal reader in me! Congrats on staying the course, with all its twists and turns, over the past 8 years. cheers!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. From one blogging fossil to another...congratulations on eight years!! I crossed the 8 year line a few months ago.

    It is good therapy for people of a certain age. Definitely for me! Hope you continue blogging. That is my intention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't remember the first time I ever saw a blog. I wouldn't have guessed they've even been around for eight years. You really were on the front of the movement! Good for you, and here's to many more years of hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! I always read whatever you talk about, but don't always comment. It takes a lot of stamina to blog eight years. I hope to get back to it once I retire. It is enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your blog about four years ago and wish that it had been sooner.....I missed a lot! You are so right about trying to stay engaged and finding some fulfillment and pleasure in activities. I find that I can't always go back and pick up some things as easily as I would like such as playing my piano. Slower thought processing makes for a real difference there because it throws off the timing....just requires much more practice and wearing glasses which I hate.
    I so enjoy your decorating projects and admire your art. You have such wonderful vision for your projects and your husband is a jewel who makes it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so impressed that you haven't run away screaming, "This woman is mad!" I am so grateful for your kind words.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you! You have a wonderful blog which I always enjoy finding in my email.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations Ellen, you have definitely reached a milestone in the world of blogging. I enjoy your blog posts and always find something interesting here. I agree totally, keep the mind busy reading and writing, be active and spend time with those we love, family and friends. As long as you write I will come.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your kind thoughts.

      Delete
  14. Impressive! You do have a very distinct voice that I, for one, really enjoy. You have not once offended me, so you will have to try harder! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on years of blogging, Ellen. I will hit 6 years Friday...I can always remember the date as it is my nephew's birthday! Your blog is one of my very favorites...so that means you have to keep blogging. I love it because you say what is on your mind. You got it right about the "golden years"...it is expensive growing old.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eight years is amazing Ellen, I didn't even know about blogging until about 4 years ago, and it has made a difference in my life, like discovering a whole new world. I love your honesty, your writing style and your creative projects and creations! You are always a fresh voice and a treasured friend~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ellen, congratulations on celebrating eight years! I'm at six, but honestly had to go back and check the date to see. I say, Bravo! All of us need to keep our minds engaged and busy. I've said it before many times, you have both talent and energy. I fear that I'm sadly lacking both departments. I find your creative process inspiring. Keep at it! And celebrate the joy of doing what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! That is a long time to blog. I always enjoy reading your posts so I hope that you'll continue to keep us informed. I need to get out and exercise too. I see older people (than me) out walking daily and that makes me feel even more guilty. Sometimes, the day gets away from me and by the time I think about it it's too late. Maybe tomorrow (I always say). LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on the number of posts and the length of your tenacity in the blog world. I agree with your outlook so keep right on posting and I'll keep right on reading.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your milestone. I may be late with this, but I always catch up with your world. So keep posting and I will keep reading.

    ReplyDelete

I love nice comments! So leave me one already!

Featured Post

GUEST POST BY BRENDAN DAVIS, aka "Son of Scribbler"

Guest Blog by Brendan Davis December 11, 2016 Beijing, China Hello, dear readers and friends - virtual or otherwise - of my ...