12 February 2017

WARM WEATHER, GETTING EVEN, AND THE FUTURE

This past week has been a very busy one!  I have had no computer till yesterday, because the speakers blew out and the battery died.  When my son was visiting, he told me my keyboard was worn also out.  Everything has been replaced, and my computer is as good as new.  Much better than buying a new computer in my book.

Torrential rains off and on, mixed with warm sunny days as well as severe storms in some areas not far from here has made for a peculiar weather pattern this week.  Like last Winter, a lot of our days are unseasonably warm, but we have had some very chilly ones, too.  I started another series of shots in my left knee this week, but it is too early to tell yet if it is doing the job.  

Some of the original characters are missing from this photo -- Boo!

Our Internet connection was well and truly fouled up early in the week, and it was probably because lightening had damaged the modem/router thingamajig.   We tried again for a faster speed, but they still say we are too far from the source to support that 18 mg speed.  AT&T replaced the thingamajig so we resumed our binge-watching of ARMY WIVES on the iPad which we have enjoyed.  I was aware of this show but never watched it when it was on in real-time, and I do think it is quite well-done for the most part.  We are into the last season, and like most shows, when the ensemble cast breaks up and many new characters are introduced all at once, it falters.  I suppose that is why it ended.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dealing with that consignment store thief this week has been quite interesting to say the least.  If you follow me on other social media, you might have seen this post I made in various places:



But if you don't, here is what I have done.  At the Sheriff's recommendation, I have decided to file suit in small claims court, and I urge any other consignors or dealers who are owed money to do the same.  You pay a percentage of what is owed as a filing fee, and then if the judgement is in your favor, you recoup that.  Supposedly!  I will keep you posted on how that goes.  I have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and with the State's Attorney General, and I have contacted the reporter who first broke the story on a local TV station.  I find that channeling this anger into my workouts at the Y has been very good cardio exercise!  Also, the fact that I have now done all I can do through legal means gives me a feeling of accomplishment.  Let's face it -- that may be all I get.  Slime-balls like the cast of characters who run this business never seem to get caught.  They just declare bankruptcy and move on to a new scam.  

If any of you readers know anyone else who has been fleeced, I invite you to share any and all of my posts about this "Flea Mall" with them.  I have been informed by various sources (a lawyer included) that their store up in Cullman has been shut down, and from what I can deduce, the store manager, consignors and dealers also got the shaft.  The two men involved in the scam have proved very slippery to pin down, and there are other stores still open and operating in the Gadsden area.  What is really awful is that all these problems had been going on for months before I ever had the misfortune to get involved with them!  All the while, they keep taking in merchandise that they are then selling, but subsequently not paying their consignors.  The local owner herself told me she is paying people since the first of the year in cash "off the books," but she will not pay those of us from last year because "we do not have anything in the store anymore."  This totally defies logic!

One of my neighbors bought his house this past year, and the patio furnishings conveyed with the house.  Since the said patio furnishings were not present when he and his family actually moved in,  the man of the house stopped into this same Trader Bob's one day, just to see if he could find some other patio pieces to fill their space. 

Lo and behold, he discovered one item -- a fountain -- in the Trader Bob's store that he was positive was the one he had bought with his house, and he called the Sheriff to discuss it.  The Sheriff came to his house (whose visit I saw with my own eyes as did the whole neighborhood), but he was told that there was really nothing they could do about it, since he had no concrete proof that that particular fountain was his.  Of course, that local store owner knew nothing about it...

Larger problems have been swirling around this business for quite a while now, but prior to what happened to me, I was completely unaware of it except for the situation about the fountain.  This is good a lesson in thoroughly checking out a business before letting them promise to sell your things!  I hope no one else ever gets cheated the way we have.  


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So after I had done all I could do about that --


Having only a phone and a tablet to communicate with the outside world this past week has given me more time to read -- and that's a good thing.  Who knew I waste so much time on the computer?  I read Ian McEwan's NUTSHELL, and Kimberly Belle's THE MARRIAGE LIE plus I caught up with a pile of magazines.  You may remember McEwan from the movie ATONEMENT even if you haven't read his books.  I have read several of them, and this one was by far the weirdest, although his characters and plots are always rather offbeat.  This is the tale of a murder plot hatched and carried out by a pair of more or less incestuous lovers (the victim's brother and the victim's wife), but it is told from the perspective of his own nine-month fetus who apparently has had perfect reasoning and language skills from about mid-point in his development in utero.  Of course, he is unable to warn his father of his impending fate, but in the end, he gets his revenge by precipitating his own birth in a rather unusual fashion to say the least.  McEwan manipulates the English language in an unparalleled way and is considered very highbrow in literary circles, but he can get quite tedious at times, although this one was intriguing enough to keep going.  Fortunately, none of his books that I have read are very long so I have always been able to see them through.

THE MARRIAGE LIE is a good whodunit, and I was fairly riveted right up to the end.  Have you read it?  I think this might be a good book club selection, because there are discussion Q & A's in the back.  It involves a woman who has just lost her husband in a terrible plane crash, lots of stolen money and a bizarre "friendship" between two childhood neighbors years later.  If you like a good psycho thriller with many rapid plot twists, you will like this one.


One last book I have loved this week and will look back through many times is this decorating book I saw referenced on another blog, but I forget whose.  I have seen some of these images floating around for quite a while since the book came out in 2012, but I was very keen to get my hands on the book itself.  My used copy came from a shop in England through Amazon for about $17, and SEDUCTIVE INTERIORS by Sera Hersham-Loftus is just that -- I was utterly mesmerized by the photos.  My only complaint is that the paper is black and the text is metallic gold, which makes it very hard to read.  You already know I love Boho style, and this one combines lots of that along with really seductive personal spaces.  She and the artsy people she writes about are people I would love to know!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have run across some really cool things this week while perusing various social media, and here are a couple:

My friend Terri shared a photo of this vintage red stove --
I want it!!!  So does she.
Anyone know anything about a stove like this?

Some gorgeous bedrooms from Romantic Homes.
I could be quite comfy in any of them.

Some great white-painted floors!
I am dying to do this in my bedroom.

This about wraps it up for this week.  I am off to try a new slow-cooker idea I got from Jenna at The Painted Apron -- I'll let you know how it turns out.





11 comments:

  1. I sure hope those shady store liars get stopped and you recoup your losses. Isn't it shameful that we don't have better laws to protect us from these scammers. Keep spreading the word, I would be so mad, I would probably park my butt in front of their store holding a sign! Love the red stove! Glad you got your computer fixed, keep posting, I love your honesty and real life posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, Thanks for the book suggestions. I'm always looking for more.

    Recently decided that I like cottage and boho. Which must be why i love your projects and your sassy boho attitude.
    Those bedrooms you like border on cottagey (IMO) and i like them too. Now to figure out how to mix the two in my house!
    What you have done with your house is inspirational and when the concrete trucks are come and gone and my new slab outside the sliding door is ready to "decorate" I'm on it with your outdoor spaces in mind. Thanks for the inspiration and I hope the weather down that way is not to steamy this summer. We have hardly had winter and who knows what awaits us come June......MJ in NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the small claims court works for you. At the very least, there is satisfaction in taking the steps you have to try to work to a resolution.
    I love that red stove! I saw a red sink in my selection process, and it was a cool look - in a granite composite. Elkay makes it.
    So sorry about the knee. Is it time for that one? I hope the shots work for you. I twisted my ankle yesterday, and am trying to be careful about not compensating my gait for the pain - afraid it'll mess up the other leg's knee (which has a weird pain anyway). The good news is the ankle made me forget about the pain in my neck on that left side. The joys of battered, aging bones!
    Have a great week and wonderful Tuesday with your Valentine!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aging is not for the faint of heart!

      Delete
  4. I hope those shots work for your knee. They did for mine for several cycles, but I was just buying time. That red stove is to die for. I have seen it in other posts, Pinterest, Houzz, and Facebook in white, but not in red. It is vintage and I can imagine it costs a fortune! Have a great week. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ellen, good for you for taking that business to task. Thieves. They should be held accountable. Those books look interesting. I have read Atonement many years ago. I read it after seeing the movie. Normally I see the movie after reading the book. I have to say though, it didn't spoil the book at all. It really was superb. I'll look into that "Marriage Lie". Sounds like a good one. Those bedroom pics are very cozy and romantic. Have a great week, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think knowing all you've done is all you can do with the consignment store should take away some of the stress. I hope the small claims court will bring you money owed. Another stressful situation is when our computers are not working so I am happy to hear that problem is resolved. I love a good mystery and both books sound interesting. Love the red stove, I think it would be perfect for you. Hope you can locate one. Romantic Homes usually have beautifully photographed rooms, I need to see this copy.
    Hope the knee feels better soon and you and your mister have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never a dull moment with you! It was a good example for me when you said you are putting your frustrations into energy to workout. Very smart, or else your head would blow up! I need to do some cathartic workouts as well. Let me know about the crock pot meal. I love using mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wondering what was going on in the Trader Bob's fraud, I think it is awesome that you are following through and have made great strides to alert the public and officials about this scandal, hard to believe people have been running this crooked business in so many locations!
    I get in such a bad habit about reading when I'm in Bham, never look at a book, but at the beach I read avidly. I have a growing list of books I can't wait to get to and love to read the reviews and recommendations from friends. I love love the white wood floors! I hope your crock pot meal turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a mess! Sorry to hear that you've been having problems with the consignment shop you use. Hopefully, it will all get straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns.....Trip asked me the other day if I wanted to take some of our furniture to Trader Bob's and I told him your story and showed him your posts about the whole fiasco. Ugh!

    Ellen, I could see you with a red stove like Terry's. I like colorful appliances!

    Horse show season is only two more weeks....when it's over I'd love to meet you for lunch of coffee or something!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete

I love nice comments! So leave me one already!

Featured Post

GUEST POST BY BRENDAN DAVIS, aka "Son of Scribbler"

Guest Blog by Brendan Davis December 11, 2016 Beijing, China Hello, dear readers and friends - virtual or otherwise - of my ...